Second Block Edition: Tales from Miami Ad School Account Planning Bootcamp. Location: Minneapolis, MN.

7.22.2009

Movin' on up.

I'm living in a more marvelous place than you. There's a plaque in my new apartment to prove it, too. It says that Peron's used to live here. I'd like to get my hands on a copy of that plaque, people will believe anything printed on brass. Why do you think so many kids believe "Good Sportsmanship" is better than first place? Suckers.

Sunday was moving day and I was all too excited to sleep on my new mattress. The one in my other house was a disgrace to the world of sleeping. It was made of foam, but before you get any ideas about it being like memory foam, allow me to rephrase. It was like sleeping on a deflated air mattress. I know memory foam and that was not it.

Only in Argentina do people find it appropriate to hold a fiesta on a Sunday evening. That's why I love it here. And the fact that there are only two types of people on the bus at 5:30 in the morning, drunks and cleaning people. You can always have a good time here it doesn't matter what day, or if there's signs warning against the dangers of Gripe A everywhere, or if it's raining, or if they close everything at 8pm because you're supposed to vote the next day. Oh, Argentina, your whole country should attend weekly AA meetings.

Yesterday was day from a cold, rainy, English hell. It was not Argentina yesterday it was England. In February. And I was feeling invisible to rain. What that really means is that I forgot to pack an umbrella, and because I'm poor and know that I own 400 umbrellas at home I refuse to buy one here. But yesterday, as it sometimes happens in life, it poured. And while I like to believe the marketing labels and the picture of fisherman standing on the storm drenched boat that comes with my 'waterproof' rain jacket. It's all lies. Umbrellas just have what I like to refer to as 'height advantage." I should know this, I'm tall.

I have a theory. So, I think I've mentioned before, but in order to take the collectivo (the bus) you have to pay with monedas (coins) and only monedas. But, there is a slight moneda shortage in this city of over 13 million people and 500 buses. There are three different rates, depending on the distance you are going, that range from 1.10 peso-1.25 peso. So sometimes when I'm feeling frugal I like to fib to save 5 or 10 centavos, and without a doubt something always goes wrong. One time I didn't pay because, well because I just didn't, and sure enough I had gotten on the wrong bus and it took me to this sketchy part of town. Then the other day I only paid 1.20 when I knew I should have paid 1.25 and I spent an hour and half job shadowing the bus driver through half of Capital Federal (Buenos Aires). Then last night I did the same thing (I don't learn my lesson easily) and paid only 1.20, and the bus driver decided to just 'go a different route,' which took me about 30 blocks from where I was supposed to be for a job. So I had to take another bus. So if you were to ask me if I believe in collectivo karma, I would say sí, por supuesto. Moral of the story, don't lie to those who control your destination or people behind the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment